Xbox One eSRAM + DirectX 11.2: Från 32Mb till 6GB värt av texturer

Inaktiv
Xbox One eSRAM + DirectX 11.2: Från 32Mb till 6GB värt av texturer

Hittade ett väldigt intressant inlägg angående eSRAM i Xbox One som sägs göra så att Xbox one kan teoretiskt sätt få tillgång till 6Gb av texturer med sitt minne på 32Mb.

Det blir mycket spännande att se vart detta leder till i spel som släpps senare i konsolens livscykel.

Länken till inlägget:
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/x1-esram-directx-11-2-from-...

Lite citat:

Citat:

With partial resident textures, or tiled resources, or as Microsoft likes to call it, the texture is split up into smaller tiles allowing you to load only the tiles necessary to be displayed at a particular detail level. So for our stretched road, it's not really necessary to display all the detail you need at 1 foot away, for the portion of the road that might be 50 feet away from the player's camera.

In the presentation, Mars is textured using two textures: A 1GB diffuse map and a 2GB normal map for a total of 3GBs of textures.

Using tiled textures they were able to texture the same scene using only 16Mb of RAM.

Citat:

For the X1 this is particularly important since using this technique the 32Mb of eSRAM can theoretically be capable of storing up to 6GB worth of tiled textures. Couple the eSRAM's ultra fast bandwidth of reportedly 192GB/s with tiled texture streaming middleware tools like Granite, and the eSRAM just became orders of magnitute more important for your next gen gaming.

Between software developments such as this and the implications of the data move engines with LZ encode/decode compression capabilities on making cloud gaming practical on common broadband connections, Microsoft's design choice of going with embedded eSRAM for the Xbox One is beginning to make a lot more sense. Pretty amazing.

Citat:

It will let developers do more with less RAM, certainly, which likely plays an important part (combined with the eSRAM and move engines the Xbox One uses) in making DDR3 RAM a viable solution within the X1 architecture.

A lot of people have criticised the use of DDR3 in the X1 as though MS' engineers are some bumbling Hurdurs who had no clue of the advantages of using unified graphics RAM in a console - despite the fact that this was the exact solution that the Xbox 360 used.

They used DDR3 because it was the only type of RAM that they could guarantee an 8GB console with, which was necessary for the 3GB OS with split screen multitasking they envisioned.

But they didn't just throw it in there with abandon. eSRAM, move engines, texture tiling - the architecture has been entirely custom built to deal specifically of the problems of DDR3.

Citat:

On that note, there's actually even more juicy information I'm discovering about nVidia's research, Epic's Unreal 4 and partial resident resources as it relates to this. The nerd in me is getting all giddy because it's all starting to come together. I swear finding out info on this stuff is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Developers don't like sharing very much. Microsoft is not talking. And not many websites are actually connecting the dots and doing the research to pass this stuff on to gamers. The few of us that still care about stuff like this.

KoP
Medlem

Onekligen spännande. Det gäller bara att utvecklarna lär sig utilisera detta fullt ut. Förhoppningvis kommer det specialbygge som Xbone är dra nytta av detta rejält. Hands down så är PS4 mera lik en vanlig pc medans hårdvaruarkitekterna bakom Xbone verkligen gnuggat sina knölar för att skräddarsy en maskin det teoretisk sett går att ösa kraft ur tack vare lite hårdvaruknep.

Ska bli intressant att med åren se vilka möjligheter detta kommer skänka till spelen.

Medlem

Wow! Microsoft var fan inte helt borta ändå haha

Inaktiv
Skrivet av Tvättbjörn:

Wow! Microsoft var fan inte helt borta ändå haha

Ja jag fattar inte varför de inte snackar om detta mer! Inte ens FZ tar upp detta som en nyhet (trotts tips).

Medlem

Kul att de satsar på något mer fiffigt sätt än många andra tror. Handlar nog bara om att det ska programmeras specifikt för hårdvaran i sig så kommer vi få nog få ett par magnifika spel framöver.

signatur

(batsman) Det enda som är större än njutningen av ett avklarat arbete, är att skjuta upp det till morgondagen.

Medlem

Bra läsning, tack för länken.

Skriv svar