The Witchers manuskript massakrerat i översättningen

Inaktiv
The Witchers manuskript massakrerat i översättningen

Vem som helst märker när man spelar The Witcher att vissa dialoger är lite underliga, som om de tappat tråden under samtalet, vilket snart ledde till spekulationer om att Ataris översättning var ett rent hafsverk när många polacker påstod att dialogerna var jättebra.

Första källan var en viss "Martin Pagan" i en tråd på Gamefaqs (sida 2 och 3):

Citat:

The translators are not to be blamed in this case. The initial version of the translated script was much closer to the original and much better. Then for some reason the translated script was horribly cut, or rather butchered, and ended up what it is.

I do not know who is responsible for this. Someone wanted the English script to be shorter for some reason, maybe to save on voice recordings.

I worked on proof-reading the butchered English translation. Managed to repair it a little bit too

Tidigare idag skrev Sande Chen, som var med och gjorde originalöversättningen, på officiella forumet att Martin Pagan hade rätt:

Citat:

Yes, it's true. My writing partner and I worked on the English adaptation of the script (based on the translation from the Polish script). It was edited down considerably, not because of censorship, though.

However, as free-lance game writers, we accept that when we hand over the script, there's always the possibility it will get changed. Same thing happens in the movie biz.

Här är ett par översättningar av den polska versionen, av Bukary på TTLG:

Citat:

Well, it has become a common knowledge now... The translated script was cut.

I wish you all could play this game with full dialogues. The texts are really great. It is sad to see that some things have been cut from English dialogues. I guess this game would have slightly better reviews if only you-know-who decided not to remove anything from the script.

Some random examples (Y = published English version):

X)
Geralt: Why do the local humans persecute the nonhumans?
Smith: Why do pricks go in cunts? It's the natural order of things. Humans have always disliked dwarves and elves. Not for me to know why.
Y)
Geralt: Why do locals persecute nonhumans?
Smith: Humans have always hated dwarves and elves.

X)
Elf Bandit: What do you seek here, witcher?
Geralt: Murderers.
Elf Bandit: Then visit the city. It's inhabited by a criminal race. We fight to survive. Humans only comprehend force and thus will we talk to them.
Geralt: I doubt you'll live long.
Elf Bandit: You threaten us, dh'oine, but know six ape-people, including women and children, remain inside the crypt... with the ghouls...
Y)
Elf Bandit: What do you want?
Geralt: Murderers.
Elf Bandit: Visit the city. It's inhabited by a criminal race. We fight to survive.
Geralt: I doubt you'll live long.
Elf Bandit: You threaten us, but six ape-people remain inside the crypt... with the ghouls...

X)
Shani: What were you doing in that witch's house?!
Geralt: I... she... saved my life. If not for Triss, I'd be dead, most likely.
Shani: Hmmmm, so I owe her. But know this, witcher, I'll show you my other, less tender side if you're lying.
Geralt: Why would I lie? Anyway, what brings you here?
Shani: Hear this - that witch is trying to steal one of my patients. A boy named Alvin. Besides the fact that I'm responsible for him, what does that hag know about raising children? Everyone knows she can never have one of her own. Plus, she's always saying something about sources and such. I don't want her handling that child with her dirty paws. Devil only knows what she wants to do with him. You've met her. Explain to her that Alvin's staying with me.
Geralt: I, hmmm, okay, I'll try, but it'd be much simpler if you two would just agree.
Shani: Simple or not, you know her better. I need to go home, Geralt. Please bring Alvin to me. Let me rest assured knowing he's all right...
Y)
Shani: Why were you in that witch's house?!
Geralt: If not for Triss, I'd be dead, most likely.
Shani: I'll show you my other, less tender side if you're lying.
Geralt: Aah... What brings you here?
Shani: That witch is trying to steal one of my patients - Alvin. What does that hag know about raising children? Everyone knows she can't have her own. I don't want her handling that child with her dirty paws. Devil only knows what she wants with him. Explain to her that Alvin's staying with me.
Geralt: It'd be much simpler if you two would just agree.
Shani: Simple or not, you know her better. Please bring Alvin to me.

X)
Yaevinn: Lara Dorren aep Shiadhal was an elven sorceress, called Aen Saevherne, a Knowing One. She carried Hen Ichaer, Elder Blood, which puzzles even us elves. As fate would have it, Lara fell in love with a human sorcerer, Cregenan of Lod. Other humans could not bear it and began persecuting them. No pleas would soften the stone hearts of the cruel and merciless dh'oine. When Lara, begging for her unborn child, grabbed the door of the royal carriage, a man-at-arms lashed out with his cutlass, chopping her fingers off. When the nighttime frosts came, Lara languished on a forest hill. She gave birth to a daughter whom she protected with what warmth remained in her waning body. Though through the night a blizzard had raged, spring suddenly appeared on that hill and feainnewedd bloomed. To this day those flowers grow only in Dol Blathanna and on the land where Lara breathed her last. You must understand the importance of her artifacts. She was exceptional to us, someone whose loss defies words, no matter the language...
Y)
Yaevinn: Lara Dorren aep Shiadhal was an elven sorceress, a Knowing One. She carried Elder Blood, which is puzzling. Lara fell in love with a human sorcerer, Cregenan of Lod. Other humans could not bear it and began persecuting them. When Lara, begging for her unborn child, grabbed at the royal carriage, a man-at-arms chopped her fingers off. She gave birth on a frost-covered hill and protected her daughter with what warmth remained in her waning body. Though a blizzard raged through the night, spring suddenly appeared on that hill and feainnewedd bloomed. Now, those flowers grow only where Lara breathed her last. She was exceptional, someone whose loss defies words, no matter the language...

X)
Yaevinn: I once lived in a big city among humans. Honest and courteous, I respected all their ridiculous customs and laws. Assimilation -- I lived that word for years, and during that time I was cheated, sneered at, on occasion beaten and robbed. I felt no hatred for humans. I felt better than them. I told myself they were simply incapable of controlling their weaknesses, their flaws. I was robbed three times as often as others. Racist slogans were painted on my door in excrement. For years I wondered why. Was I doing something wrong? What could I do to make my life peaceful and happy? And you know what I came to understand?
Geralt: No, but I'm sure you'll tell me.
Yaevinn: I was doing nothing wrong. I had been lying to myself from the outset. Just as the moon will never catch the sun, so humans will never change. They will remain egotistical, envious, petty, and fearful of anything they don't understand - and believe me, there's plenty... Matters proceeded quickly thereafter, but that's another story.
Geralt: Now you resemble humans...
Yaevinn: No, Geralt, definitely not... And you, witcher? Who are you? You too have experienced human ignorance and hatred.
Geralt: But I feel no contempt for them, I don't look down on them, and I don't generalize. Humans are how they are, and I'll make no effort to change or fight them. I'll adapt. Evolution, Yaevinn.
Yaevinn: Evolution makes no allowance for sterile mutants... No offense. Think about it, Geralt.
Geralt: You're trying to make the sun stand still. To me, elves hardly differ from humans. I don't understand you, and I don't like your arrogance. You dream of a lost time that will never return no matter how many dh'oine you slay.
Y)
Yaevinn: I once lived in a city among humans. I respected all their ridiculous customs and laws and during that time I was cheated, beaten and robbed. I told myself they were incapable of controlling their weaknesses. I was robbed three times as often as others. Racist slogans were painted on my door in excrement. I wondered if I was doing something wrong. What could I do to change? You know what I came to understand?
Geralt: No, but tell me.
Yaevinn: I did nothing wrong. Just as the moon will never catch the sun, so humans will never change. They will remain egotistical, envious, petty, and fearful of anything they don't understand - and believe me, there's plenty...
Geralt: You're similar to humans...
Yaevinn: Definitely not! And you? Who's also experienced human ignorance and hatred?
Geralt: I don't look down on them. Humans are how they are and I'll not try to change or fight them. I'll adapt. Evolution, Yaevinn.
Yaevinn: Evolution makes no allowance for sterile mutants...
Geralt: Elves hardly differ from humans. I don't understand you and your arrogance. The lost times will never return no matter how many dh'oine you slay.

And so on...

It's up to you to decide if these changes are important...

Spelet som sådant är ändå klart spelvärt men jag hoppas att det snart kommer en mod (en SDK är utlovad) med de polska röstskådespelarna och korrekta engelska undertexter...

Medlem

Fan, det här är kasst ju. Jag väntar hellre på polskt tal med engelsk text än spelar den med engelskt tal.

signatur

"When corporations create the music we all lose."

Medlem

Det är synd att det är så. Undra om det är CDP:s eller Ataris beslut.
Hoppas verkligen de kompletta engelska undertexterna kommer senare.

Inaktiv

CDP verkar ha beställt en engelsk översättning från en firma och sedan gett Atari det manuskriptet varpå Atari skurit ned dialoglängden för att spara pengar.

Såg just en uppgift om skillnaden i storlek på röstfilerna:

Citat:

The Polish voices.bif is 627MB
The UK one is 478MB

Den engelska versionen har alltså ungefär 24% mindre dialog än den polska.

Medlem

Jag vet att Kaziklu vet om det men tydligen kan man ändra "Language=FinalEnglish_Short" till "Language=FinalEnglish_Long" i witcher.ini för originaltexten. Dock verkar ingen ha rapporterat om skillnader än.

Inaktiv

Är väl inte riktigt så illa? Man förlorar ju inte direkt helkänslan. Men jaja, efter jag har proat/sommarjobbat hos släktingar på tidningen så kanske jag blivit hjärntvättad då man måste cutta av ganska stora delar av texterna.

signatur

"Nothing is more intolerable than to have to admit to yourself your own errors"

Inaktiv

Nej, översättningen är inte illa om man bara ser till det som kom med - men en del "krydda" verkar ha försvunnit och i några fall har innebörden ändrats en del.

rocagil: Jag provade "Language=FinalEnglish_Long" men märkte ingen som helst skillnad. Sedan ändrade jag till "Language=FinalEnglish_Nonsens" och märkte fortfarande ingen skillnad så den där raden verkar inte ha någon egentlig funktion.

Skriv svar