Taah's Heavenly Sword-eftersnack

Inaktiv
Taah's Heavenly Sword-eftersnack

Skrev följande på ett annat, internationellt forum, och tänkte posta det här också bara för att.

Varning för mkt text och en del rabbel. Skrev det främst för min egen skull för att bearbeta mina intryck efter att ha klarat spelet för någon timme sen.

Edit: Också varning för att även om det inte innehåller några story/plot-spoilers, så innehåller det några 'gameplay-spoilers', dvs olika typer av uppdrag osv. Men det är igenting som skulle förstöra spelupplevelsen imo.

Edit2: Nej, jag har inte spelat GoW på svårare än normal (räcker med en genomgång för mig). Om ni tycker detta påverkar kraftigt, så får ni ta det jag säger med en kopp salt.

Took me about 7-8 hours or so, but I finally completed it. Damn, that was a blast! It never got boring, and was always challenging, especially the boss battles, although the ones I had most problems with was the first boss (pretty early in game, not yet used to the system) and the last phase of the final boss (after a few wipes, I managed to device a sound strategy).

The two main gameplay elements were as Nariko, which then becomes action-slasher ala God of War, and the shooting gameplay (mainly as Kai). Although I just compared the action-part with God of War, that's not really fair at all to either game. In God of War, the mobs were almost all pushovers, rarely blocking or otherwise impeding Kratos and they're just there for you to utilise one of many of the different combos or weapons to kill them with. And if they did block, one simple combo could shatter their blocking and immediately kill them.
Imo, simple buttong-mashing would suffice to kill almost all kinds of mobs in GoW.

That is not the case with HS. Although there's not a lot of variety in terms of AI-attacking or rather, types of mobs (almost all are melee-types of various difficulty and attack patterns, with only one range/archers), only the first, peon-type of enemies are pushovers. Switching player attack-pattern is the key here, as well as counter-attacks (not going into that much, I'm not that kind of player) and utilising many of the debris that litter all the areas of fighting to break their guard. If you can't break the guard of the heavy-types, you can try counter-attacking, use a block-destroying combo, rapidly switching between the three different stances as well as switching target, or throwing benches, fruits, weapons and corpses to take them off their feet. It's all about breaking the block. Random buttonmashing may get you through it all, but not as easy or efficiently.
Although you get access to all three stances from the beginning, as you play along and completing stages, you'll unlock more and more moves and combos. They're not necessarily more powerful than the ones you have, apart from a few really good ones, but they do add versatility. But as with most of these kinds of games you will find your favourite combos and mostly use those. That is the case for me in both GoW, HS, as well as other fighting/brawling games such as Rune, Jade and so on.

This kind of gameplay could get pretty boring and longwinded if that was all it offered, since most encounters takes quite a bit of time due to the blocking-mechanic, but as this game also has the shooting element, it adds quite a lot of variety. I have read a few reviews that thought there was too much of this gameplay, but personally I thought there was just enough amount of it. Especially considering how they were able to vary the ways the 'gun' was used.

The basic game-mechanic is to press the shoot-button, and hold it in. While you hold it, you'll be in 'aftertouch mode' in which you have a 3rd-person view of the arrow/cannonball/rocket and you will be able to guide the projectile to your chosen target by using the six-axis. At first, this will be quite difficult I'm sure, but with practice you will surely get better, especially if you learn not to PANIC. Good starting aim coupled with gentle, guiding movements usually suffices to hit your targets.
This shooting mechanic is used mainly with Kai, since her weapon is the chain-arrow-thrower-thingy. Even though most of her levels are based on her using aftertouch to kill her targets, there is a surprising amount of variety and depth to it. You can shoot your arrow through a flame and hit a explosive barrel to kill squads, which is also used in one of the puzzles. In one mission, you have to defend someone by shooting his attackers, and in another you have to run around avoiding mobs (Kai has no melee-capability at all except for a temporary stun) and pretty much use your gun like in one of the GTA games (without lockon).
With Nariko, you will use aftertouch to solve some of the open-the-gate-puzzles and killing enemies with debris. Some levels also include Nariko guiding either a rocketlauncher or a cannon. The cannon-levels are especially epic and fun, where you have to destroy large, mobile catapults by aftertouching your cannonballs onto certain parts of the structure, as well as mindless, fun cannonballing hundreds and thousands of mobs.

In boss battles and certain parts of some levels, you will use the action-reaction type of button-pressing seen in RE4, GoW, Fahrenheit etc. Some critical differences from those other games though, or especially GoW (which most people compare it to) is that unlike GoW and in regards of fighting, this is Only used in boss encounters as a way of progressing to another phase. In GoW, this is done almost always; think of Cyclops, Minotaurs and other critters often killed through this kind of button-pressing mechanic. Also, that is one reason why HS is a lot less forgiving, meaning you have to either be really friggin' quick, or have memorised the series.

Considering all this, and the balance between all kinds of gameplay-mechanics, referring HS as Goddess of War is imo a very bad and uneducated guesswork. Sure, from the surface that is what it looks like. But added on all the things I've written above, HS clearly stands firmly on its own legs where the balance between the fighting-element and the gun-element is roughly 60-40 as opposed to GoW's 100% fighting (I count the environment puzzle-element into fighting).

Since this isn't really a review, and just my brainstorming and explanation of gameplay-mechanic as well as my thoughts of the differences between HS and GoW, I'm not going into any other detail such as graphics, sound and so on. I'll just say that the sound and music works nicely, nothing remarkable. The cutscenes are superb and enjoyable, and Andy Serkis has outdone himself as the big bad boss. The graphics are extraordinary, especially towards the end in the last two chapters in terms of holy-crap-this-IS-next-gen-ps2-go-to-hell, and I'm not even playing it on a HD-tv, just a normal old widescreen'ish tv.

As for the lenght of the game, as I said it only took me 7-8 hours to complete it. A lot of ppl have therefor complained about the lenght of the game, but imo the lenght is Perfect in terms of what we got to experience during the ride as well as how it all ties-in with the story. The game takes place within five days, and instead of a GoW marathon run-through-hell-and-backwards kind of ride, this is about a warrior-woman who's out to kill the big bad boss, and that's what she does. No side-mission crap or super-weapon-quest (already has the badass weapon). Besides, I finished it. That says a lot, imo. I have played countless of super-fun 20++ hours games. I've completed just a fraction of those, always saying "i'll complete it some day..". How many thousands of other people are there who are just like me?

In any case I wrote this mainly for myself as a way to ransack my brains after playing it (i've done the same with afew other games, ico among others). But I hope you had an entertaining read as well.

En sak till. Läste i comments till FZ's HS recension om vissa som hade testat HS demot. Med tanke på det jag skrivit ovan så presenterar demot bara en Bråkdel av vad som erbjuds i HS. Därför är det nog inte rättvist att bedöma spelet enbart på demot, som jag hört bara innehåller i princip en scen av alla i hela spelet.

Inaktiv

Trevlig läsning :). Jag förespråkar alltid kvalite över kvantite, och jag skulle lätt kunna köpa detta spel enbart för cutscenesen är fruktansvärt bra gjorda, sjukt bra röstskådespeleri och mocap.

Sen förstår jag att folk retar sig på att spelet tar mellan 6+ timmar att klara det kostar ju trots allt 600kr, men hur lång tid tog Halo 3/Gears att klara? Säger inte att dom två spelen är dåliga, jag har klarat dom två också och gillar dom riktigt mycket.

Läste någon recension där dom klagade på att det var mycket buttonmashing, men det ska det vara i denna typen av spel. Fingrarna ska för bövelen blöda!

Alla spel ska vara som Track & Field till NES, där snackar vi buttonmashing med en extra twist för man ville ju slå storebrosarn i häckhopp.

signatur

PSNid: Hjod
XBLID: Hjod

Medlem

^- Gears och halo 3 har multiplayer som förlänger spelupplevelsen som har tagits upp 1000 gånger vid det här laget när folk jämnför HS med gears & halo 3.

Sen vad man tycker om multiplayer i dessa spel har ju mindre betydelse, då alternativet iallafall finns.

Medlem

Jag har kört igenom halva spelet typ nu, och måste säga att hur idiotiska var dom att ha kanon tjaset precis i början? Slösa bort speltid på sånt trams när spelet i sig förövrigt har mer att erbjuda.

Inaktiv

Jo visst har Halo och Gears MP, menade bara att SP-kampanjen är korta i dom också. Har precis fixat min förbannade router så det verkar som den funkar nu så jag också kan få njuta av lite krig online på konsolerna

signatur

PSNid: Hjod
XBLID: Hjod

Inaktiv

I demot får man ju se mekaniken och pröva kontrollen och för att jag vant mig vid den höga kvaliten från Legacy of Kain och God of War spelen känns HS som ett b-spel.

Inaktiv

spel där man har möjlighet att köra multiplayer där kan med leva med att spelet är rätt så kort.

för spel som Quake eller
Half-Life lever ju på multiplayer funktionen och med mods.
Men att göra spel som är enbart singelplay kort borde vara straffbart.

Och då menar jag inte bara Heavenly Sword utan alla singelplay spel.

det ska vara straffbart att göra sånt alltför kort.

Inaktiv
Skrivet av BangBoomBang:

jag gillar korta spel..ska jag behöva köpa spel i nåns källare för att dessa är olagliga?

Medlem
Skrivet av F3D:
Skrivet av BangBoomBang:

jag gillar korta spel..ska jag behöva köpa spel i nåns källare för att dessa är olagliga?

Ja

Men jag håller med lite. Tycker åtminstone att spelet kunde varit lite billigare med tanke på vad som (inte) finns i boxen.

Inaktiv
Skrivet av F3D:
Skrivet av BangBoomBang:

så du gillar korta spel och tydligen korta människor eftersom du ska bo i japan.

hade du vart elektriker då hade det nog blivit kortslutning..

för att fatta mig kort så gillar du inte långt ?

Inaktiv

Jag gillar inte überlånga spel, för jag Vet att jag aldrig kommer att klara dem. Det finns väldigt få 40++ timmars rollspel och liknande som jag har avslutat, främst för att jag inte haft tid att avsluta dem, men även för att andra spel har kommit ut som är lika spelvärda de också.

För de som är som jag, så uppskattar man när man lyckats klara av ett spel och fått uppleva hela storyn. För det är det enda jag vill, uppleva hela storyn nån gång, och inte tortera mig själv igenom högre och högre svårighetsgrader för en större e-peen.

Skulle absolut inte ha någonting emot att titta på när en polare kör igenom ett spel, även om det givetvis är roligare när man själv har klarat av slutbossen.

Därmed inte sagt att jag ogillar långa spel. Jag har som sagt klarat av några riktigt långa spel, och det var jätteroligt. Men i dagsläget har jag varken tid eller ork att klara av sådana maratonspel. Det får gärna vara lagom långt, men inte überlångt. Alltför många rollspel tyr sig till den jobbiga skaran.

Undantaget är ju då musikspel som t.ex. Ouendan eller Guitar Hero. Men så har de ju inte någon nämnvärd story, man spelar för att det är bra låtar och man vill tro att man är en bra gitarrist.
Men som sagt, smaken är som baken, det är klart att alla inte uppskattar sånt.

Sen så låter det på dig som att kort är dåligt. Korta spel. Korta människor. Varför är 'kort' ett så negativt-laddat ord för dig?

Medlem

Jag föredrar nog också spela som klaras av inom en rimlig tid, där handlingen hålls. Jag hatar Final Fantasyspel, där handling hålls ut i det oändliga, med sanslösa utsvävningar och spelmoment som enbart och uppenbarligen finns där för att öka längden på spelet. Hellre ett spel som har en bra story och håller sig till den, istället för att "nu ska du springa på en tågvagn och plocka upp hönor, helt utan egentlig vettig anledning", eller "nu hamnar du i en psykadelisk knarkvärld, där du ska springa på rullband och lösa ologiska pussel."

Final Fantasy 8 är ett fantastiskt exempel på ett spel som aldrig vill ta slut, trots att man själv vill att det ska det.

Skriv svar